Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Follow Up

Just to follow up on my previous post....

It's been a stressful couple of days, but my dad has made a lot of progress. On Sunday evening a physical therapist came in to start working with him and he didn't react so well. He wasn't able to stand on his own or walk at that point, and after trying, he complained a lot about his hip hurting (he was convinced that it was broken even after x-rays). Yesterday he had more physical therapy and did much better. He was able to stand and walk about 14 feet. He also did some occupational therapy yesterday and was able to walk another 20 feet as well as stand at the bathroom sink and shave his face for about 20 minutes.

I had planned to drive down and visit him today, but ended up getting out of work extremely late. By that time my sister had called to let me know that he got the OK from his doctor to be transferred to a stroke rehab center. My sister had done some legwork to get him into the stroke rehab at GBMC where she works so she's able to visit him frequently. The drive to Glen Burnie (where he was) took her almost an hour, and she is by far the one with the most schedule flexibility out of the three of us. So he was being transferred to GBMC this afternoon and she stayed with him through that and got him settled in when he got there. Tomorrow night I have my last Ethics class, and then on Thursday I'm free and plan to go up and visit him.

It's an absolute miracle that he survived at all. I can't get over how speedy his recovery appears to be going. I don't think he's out of the woods yet, he still needs vascular surgery to hopefully reduce his chances of another stroke. But given his health prior to the stroke (a smoker almost his entire life who refuses to take his medications because he "feels fine" and eats a lot of meat and potatoes), he is extremely fortunate.

So just in case anyone doesn't believe there's a God, I think this story does a good job of illustrating God's love. My dad isn't even officially a believer, that I know of, and this is what God has done for him. I'm also hoping this experience converts him :) So along with your prayers for health, throw in there a little prayer that my dad will "see the Light." Thanks!

AND... I hope you're enjoying the Christmas tunes on the radio, shopping for the perfect gifts, and getting your abodes warmly decorated for the season :) Happy Christmas time!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're dad is doing a little better. I've been wondering how he's been since your last post. It really is a miracle that he survived. I'll definitely keep you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!