Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Million Signs of Spring!

All week long I look forward to sleeping in on the weekends. Last night we were out extra late because we had dinner with some friends in Reston, VA. So I figured, extra sleepy = extra sleep. This was not quite the case for me. This morning, early, I woke up starving with a massive headache. I had to go to the bathroom-- as always when I wake up in the wee hours.... wait, is that why they're called the wee hours?-- so I did, and I took a couple of excedrine hoping to knock out the headache. What I didn't realize is that it was about 6 a.m. (before the sun comes up, who can tell?). So my body was thinking it's about time to get up and going and I had just taken excedrine which contains about as much caffiene as a cup of coffee (I usually try not to take it before bed or anything). So despite all of my efforts to go back to sleep, I was wide awake. I dozed in and out for another hour or so and finally the sun was coming up. I figured, why bother at this point? I got up, showered and made some waffles. Now to some this sounds like an ordinary Saturday-- up around 7:30, shower, breakfast, etc. For me it was new and fun. I'm usually just rolling out of bed around 8:30 or 9, so to have showered, cooked and eaten breakfast by this point was amazing! I felt like it should have been noon and yet that was hours away. I sat down and did my homework, slowly, and still not yet noon! I adore sleeping in, but I have to admit that this was fun for a change. And I know you're making fun of me for being so excited about what Saturday is like for everyone else in the world, I just want you to know that I'm okay with that.

On top of this outstanding start to the day, the weather was incredible. Even early (like 8) it was mild enough to go out on the deck without a jacket and be comfortable. It looked so perfectly springy too -- a little mist in the air with the bright sun shining through. Ahhh, a taste of what's to come. Josh and I really maximized the beauty of this day and after peach waffles spent a little time watching Scrubs on the couch. We did some usual Saturday stuff (laundry, homework, phone calls to the parents) and then the inevitable happened, we just had to get out of the house for a while to enjoy the weather. We decided Cold Stone would be an excellent way to celebrate and headed over to Arundel Mills. It was so nice to be outside without shivering... and to get in the car and have it feel warm instead of cold! That is a true sign of spring. Oh how I love when the sun feels warm again. What? Oh right. Ice cream. My ice cream was chocolate with Reece's cups, and Josh had strawberry with cookie dough. Not wanting to miss out on a second of fresh air, we even ate it outside. After our ice cream we decided it might be a good idea to eat lunch. We took a quick walk through Wal Mart to look at toys (ah, my husband) and then went over to Costco for $1.50 hot dogs & sodas... so bad for you, and yet so good. I figured since we walked there from Wal Mart, we must have at least burned a little of it off and so it was acceptable.

We returned home after our beautiful afternoon date and promptly dug out the deck furniture from the basement. Josh is reading, I'm blogging, Sheppie is sleeping on a chair. We couldn't ask for a better afternoon. Tonight we're headed back out to celebrate our sister-in-law, Erin's birthday at Pub Dog here in Columbia. For those who have never been, it's a microbrewery that also makes gourmet pizza-- who can complain about that? They have a great deal where you can get two mugs for something like $4 so when you've got a table full of friends, it's fun to mix and match your mugs and try all the different beers. This will probably also coutn as our St. Patrick's day libation celebration, since every pub in the world will be celebrating St. Patrick's day this weekend. Oh what fun!

I'm hoping to spend some time tomorrow at my mom's visiting with the fam. And for right now, I'm going to sit back and enjoy some more of the weather!

1 comment:

  1. Oh it's been so long since I've checked your blog. I must say that I love reading about your lazy Saturdays (well not really lazy because you do a lot lol) but I just smile and remember those days before baby duty! :) Of course I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it does tend to make going to more than even one store or place a bit more work!Hey, and I want to request pictures of your new place, I haven't seen it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!