Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

In Training

I've had very little spare time over the past several weeks since I have been spending five days a week training. My friend Katherine and I decided to run the Baltimore Running Festival half marathon together in October. We've both been runners for a while but neither of us has been super serious trainers in terms of training for events and such. I joined a running group last fall and enjoyed that for the most part, but for whatever reason it just didn't get me on track the way I had hoped. I ran through the winter, but not as seriously as I should have, and then knew that I wanted to run a half marathon this year. I decided not to push it too hard and sign up for one in the spring (it got really hot really early this year so I'm glad I didn't do that), and that left me with all of spring and summer to get serious again and get ready for a half marathon in the fall. I started an actual training program 5 weeks ago and have been running 5 days a week ever since.

Training for me takes place on our treadmill while C is taking her nap. Most people I know who are runners love running outside and hate treadmills, but I am the opposite. The treadmill offers all kinds of flexibility when it comes to weather and time of day. I never have to run in the dark, or the cold, or the heat, or any precipitation. I don't need J to be home or for anyone else to watch C while I run because I don't have to leave the house. I can run while she sleeps so I don't have to sacrifice time spent with her in order to run. Most importantly, I can run safely without even the slightest worry that I could be mugged, assaulted, or worse while out running by myself. I know that many many people run outside alone every single day and only the tiniest percentage ever have any ill-fated experiences doing so. But since I have the option, and there are so many other advantages to running on the treadmill, that's where you'll find me... 5 days a week :)

I don't love running, and I'm not sure if I ever will, but I do really love the sense of accomplishment that comes with training. Every week I feel like the long run is an almost impossible goal, and yet every week I complete it. Interestingly, the more I run the more motivated I feel. I can't wait to reach the next milestone. My friend Katherine and I will finish our training plan well in advance of the actual event, so that will give us plenty of time to work on some other stuff to improve our speed and really get comfortable with the distance. Needless to say, we're both super excited about working towards such a cool accomplishment and being able to do it together.

Got any fun running or training stories? I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!