Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

12 Hours of Class + Surprise Job Interview

Today was the first day of my Thurs/Fri/Sat class. It's from 9am - 4pm. It's actually very interesting. It's all about the different disorders our counseling clients may be diagnosed with. Basically it's a class about using the DSM-IV. Anyway, as I'm walking out the door this morning, arms full of papers, purses, school stuff, etc., and my phone starts ringing. I got the door locked and pulled out the phone to see that it's the human resources guy from Howard county (whom I'd conveniently emailed the previous afternoon). He said there aren't many openings, but he was going to send me to this one school - Mayfield Woods Middle, it's right around the corner from our house. So he said call them and set up the interview.

I got to class, about 10 minutes into it my phone rings. It's Mayfield Woods Middle. The principal leaves me a voicemail saying she wants to interview me TODAY because she's going out of town tomorrow for the next week. Inconveniently, I'll be out of town the following week. The worst part is that I have class all day from 9-4 and then my night class from 6:50-9:20. I decided I'd go ahead and squeeze it in between the two. Ouch.

Fortunately, by some act of God, I had decided to dress somewhat decently today - a bold blue top and khakis. I looked kind of cute. But I was lucky I wasn't in shorts and a hoodie! Sheesh. So the interview seemed to go really well. The principal was really nice and appreciated me coming in on such short notice. She did say that she'd had several strong interviews and was trying to rank-order the candidates. And she said she thought she would have two openings instead of just one so I thought that was promising.

So I have to call the HR guy back tomorrow and see what he says. The principal said she was going away on vacation so I don't know when she'll be making any kind of decision. I'm very interested to see if there are other schools with openings that I might get to choose from though (since that is the nature of my contract).

I will update soon!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the job! I wish John's job was just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!