Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It's All Over But the Shoutin'

Actually, the shouting is all that's over at this point. Today was my official last day of teaching even though school isn't out until Thursday. We finished giving our "exams" today. They really aren't anything more than the usual unit tests. They're just called "exams" because it's the end of the school year and administrators want students trapped in classrooms until they're literally clawing their way out (or each other's eyes out). So our schedule gets all jacked around -- as if the usual rotating schedule isn't haywire enough -- to create two 2 and a half hour blocks at the beginning and the end of the day. It's the worst idea you can ever imagine. My unit test takes about 40 minutes. Then I have to kill almost an hour and a half with a class that has already taken their final test. I try showing movies but they don't want to sit still. My last class today would not quiet down for the movie, I had already sent two kids out, and I finally told them we were going to have to do text book work. It was a total waste of time. It only punished the well-behaved kids because everyone else just continued talking. I'm so happy to be leaving that school and all of those awful unparented children.

Tomorrow I have my planning period exam block (the only good thing about the god-forsaken exam schedule) which means 2 and a half hours of planning to start the day. At that time all the sixth graders will report to the cafeteria and we're taking them to the pool for the rest of the day. I do like that field trip. There are lifeguards who watch the kids so teachers basically sit under an umbrella and socialize all day. We deserve it. I have to think of something to pack for lunch though....

Then Thursday is not only a half day but field day also. It will be a whole lot of nothing for me. For some stupid reason (noticing a trend at this school) we have 25 minutes of first, second, and third period in the morning before field day begins. But once it does, I signed up for two shifts of watching this totally unnoticed, unused door on the bottom floor back of the building. Awesome! I'll bring magazines to read or something.

Anyway, I should get myself to bed even though I don't technically have to be on time for work tomorrow. I do need to get some things done during my planning time.

Later kids :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!