Pages

Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight

Heath Ledger as The Joker

Most people who know my husband may know that he's a little bit of a comic book fanboy. He's more into Marvel than DC comics, but let's face it, 90% of planet earth has been salivating over the new Batman movie. So add the fanboy to a movie that's exciting even for normal folks, and you find yourself sitting in a cold movie theater at midnight staring into the face of a deranged clown (see above).

That's right. The movie opens today, so we were there at the 12:01 am showing last night. I must say, it was a good movie. It felt a little long, but that could be due to the fact that I was sitting in the same movie theater seat from 11pm - 3am. The story was fantastic though and as creepy as he was, you just couldn't get enough of the joker. You wanted to stare at his creepy face, and they gave you plenty of opportunity for that. All I can say is this movie exponentially exacerbates the tragedy of Heath Ledger's death. It is an absolute crime that he is not around to enjoy everything that would have come to him as a result of this role. And not just the fame or money, but the pride in pulling off this character in an ingenious way that hasn't been done before, and doing so perfectly. It was amazing. You hate to think the villain stole the show, but in this case he absolutely did. You couldn't take your eyes off of him or stop thinking about him the entire time. Christian Bale of course was a great Batman and Bruce Wayne. I even thought Maggie Gyllenhaal played a good Rachel Dawes. But no one's performance compared to Heath Ledger in this movie. 10 Stars.

I would recommend sitting down to watch Batman Begins at home, and then going out to see this one. I think it makes the story that much more poignant particularly since I'm not the kind of person who remembers every detail from a movie years after I've seen it. I pretty much remember the basic story and who won in the end.

And I can't conclude without mentioning that I haven't heard anything else about my job. I have one of the three new interviews scheduled and am still trying to get in touch with the other two schools to set something up. I'm in class 9a-4p every day next week so that's going to complicate things a little. But hey, what can ya do? I'm off to the store for dinner stuff... trying a new recipe, I'll share it if it's good! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!