Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Our Father's Day

I'm going to cut in on my "catch up" posts here in an attempt to stay somewhat up-to-date and talk about Father's day at our house. It was quiet and simple. We spent the day before with my husband's family so we got to spend Sunday at home. My husband adores breakfast food so we went to a local place for breakfast (which was more like brunch, but whatever). Hubby had strawberry pancakes, eggs and bacon. Bebe and I shared pancakes with strawberries, blueberries and bananas and some scrambled eggs. It was pretty fabulous. When we got home we gave my hubby his gifts. Last week I took some time to take a few pictures of our little bebe wearing just her diaper and one of daddy's ties. At the time I felt like she was not looking at the camera or smiling, but when I went through them to print there were a bunch of cute ones. Here are a few-





So I gave a stack of them to my hubby along with a ticket to see the broadway show, The Book of Mormon, when we go to New York in October. Being a former member of the LDS church, my husband has particular interest in this show. I knew he would be excited to see it but probably wouldn't spring for it himself. He was in fact very excited. When our bebe went to bed for her nap, we watched a movie together and ended up getting Chinese later for dinner. Overall, it was just a really nice day at home spent with our little family.

As someone who has a mediocre relationship with her dad, I have a special appreciation for my husband as a father to our baby. Growing up I saw my friends with their dads and knew that I wished my dad was more like that. Instead he has always been a marginal part of my life. I know he cares, but he's not the type to show it. Watching my husband with our baby makes me feel so proud that I picked him for my children. Knowing that they will grow up with the best dad I can imagine warms my heart more than I can say. I know that my relationship with my own dad will never change and there's nothing I can do about it. But I also know that my babies will never have to feel that way and I feel like that is my ultimate gift to them - two parents who will love them, and each other, endlessly.

I hope everyone out there had a wonderful father's day, too :)

1 comment:

I love hearing from you!