Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Project #2 Complete!

The garland that we've had for our Christmas tree for a few years is very pretty, but kind of difficult to work with.

I love the natural look of it and the festive feel of the red berries, but it's wire and that makes it a little contrary when you're trying to place it just so on your tree. It requires bending and shaping which, if you've already dealt with fluffing your artificial tree branches as we have, you've had enough of. So this year I wanted to get new garland but wasn't sure what to do with this stuff. It's actually pretty nice, so I didn't want to just toss it in the trash.

That's when it hit me that we also needed a new wreath for the door. I picked up a simple, undecorated grapevine wreath from Hobby Lobby for $5 and simply worked the berry garland around it, securing it with a little floral wire along the way. 


 You can get "grapevine" wire, but it's more expensive and much thicker. I thought it might be a little harder to work with and just opted for the green floral wire instead. You can see it if you're standing right in front of the wreath examining it, but I don't care.

The final result was this:
I love it. I thought about adding a few other small items to make it less "plain" but I couldn't decide what to add. Maybe a bow? I was looking for some pine cones but didn't find any. There's still time! I tend to have simple, classic taste when it comes to holiday decorating anyway so for now this wreath suits me just fine. 

This is the garland we chose to replace the wired berry one. Still berries, still simple, just much much easier to place on the tree. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the wreath! So cute! I agree that less is more - it's not "plain", it's simple, and there's nothing wrong with simple. It's more classic and sophisticated that way.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!