Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

My Happy 30th

Well, I survived! Actually, I more than survived. It was a great day and overall a great weekend. On Friday (my actual birthday) J, C, and I went down to the town of St. Michaels on Maryland's eastern shore (which sounds like the ocean, but it's really the eastern side of the Chesapeake Bay, if you're not from around these parts). It's a picture-perfect little waterfront town with brick sidewalks, adorable houses and B&Bs, and dozens of one-of-a-kind shops and restaurants along the main little road, Talbot St.
We started our day at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum where we took a boat tour of the Miles River along which is the house(s) where scenes from the movie, Wedding Crashers were filmed. Yea, Maryland :)  Then we wandered through an exhibit titled, "At Play on the Bay." It was in an old boat house and was full of fun coastal Maryland info and culture. We also took a tour through a rare screwpile lighthouse.

Hooper Strait Lighthouse and the "Mister Jim" 

She loved her first ever boat ride!







Explanation of how the "screwpile" lighthouse got its name. Doesn't C look so excited??

Headed up to look around the lighthouse


 View from the top of the lighthouse (you can see in the pictures that it's not super high up) 

This was J's favorite boat of the day seeing that it was named "Thor"

"At Play on the Bay" Exhibit

  




This little picnic table was actually part of the exhibit. We do love us some steamed crabs here in Maryland :)


By that time we were ready for lunch so we walked over to the St. Michaels Crab & Steak House. I had a delicious crab cake, my most favorite food! It was here that I made my "Officially Old" comment of the day. A very friendly kid who appeared to be 16-ish came to seat us and when he walked away I said like a true old person, "Well he was awfully nice for a teenager." Immediate palm-to-forehead. Oh well, it had to happen sometime, right?

After lunch we did some shopping at a store called Ophiuroidea. There was so much there that I had a hard time picking something out. I ended up with a picture frame after realizing I could most likely make most of the things that I really liked. The only item I really wanted but couldn't justify the price for was this model sailboat made out of driftwood and actual retired sails. I could probably make something kind of similar minus the authenticity of retired sails. They were made by By The Bay Creations (check them out here). I still might pick one up at some point :)  After picking out a picture frame and a few other small items, we headed over to the St. Michaels winery. Unfortunately by this point in the day, our little trooper C was running out of steam. With no time to taste, we chatted for a few minutes with the people in the winery and got their recommendation for a great summer wine. Their suggestion was called Gollywobbler White (that has to be good, right?) and we went with it.

We drove home through some thunderstorms (what summer day is complete without a thunderstorm? :) and ended up under a tornado watch for a good while once we got here. Eventually the storms passed, we had some pizza, and J & I got to snuggle on the couch with our wine. It was exactly what I wanted my birthday to be. I got to spend it with my two favorite people (who also happen to be the two cutest people I know) in a beautiful location. I got to take pictures and eat crab cakes. In a word - Perfect :)

Here are just a few of the scenic pictures I took.








Pretty cute, right? We loved it. St. Michaels is seriously picture perfect, and every person we came across was really friendly (not just the teenager at the restaurant, haha). We'll definitely be going back :)  To top the weekend off I got to celebrate with my parents and siblings and nieces and nephews yesterday. They only picked on me a little bit about being old, but mostly spoiled me :) I really couldn't have asked for a better birthday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!