Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Say 1, 2, 3

This is a story about how you know your 2 year old is far too smart for conventional parenting. The other day our sweet C was not doing so well finishing her dinner. J was sitting with her and trying to convince her to take a few more bites before getting down from her high chair. Suddenly amidst the coaxing and convincing, C says, "Daddy, say 1, 2, 3." As in, do that thing where you threaten some unknown consequence if you make it to three. On the occasion that we have to count to get her to do what we're asking we usually only have to say one. If I make it to three the only thing that happens next is I take her hand and make her do what I've asked, but I've been pretty pleased that she responds well to a count of just one. Needless to say J and I exchanged shocked glances, doing our best to keep from bursting out laughing, and I quietly suggested counting to three in a fun way rather than the you're-in-trouble way. He did and it worked. It's clear though that we are not raising your average toddler and we'll likely need to be more creative than the classic "1-2-3" bit to keep her in check. In our favor we do have the fact that she is extraordinarily well behaved. The biggest fear is a second child just as smart but not as interested in being a good listener! I guess that's why kids are so stinking cute :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!