Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Try This!


Here is a super recipe that is way too delicious for the amount of effort it takes to prepare! I love making it and as I just had some leftovers for lunch, I thought you might appreciate my sharing it.

Bacon Roasted Chicken (yes, bacon!)

You'll need:
- a whole chicken, cleaned
- 2 cups of broth (chicken or beef)
- 1 granny smith apple cut into chunks
- 6 strips of bacon (regular works best, but I've used turkey and it works too)
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Pre-heat your oven to 450 (F). Place your chicken breast-side up in a shallow roasting pan. Pour broth over the chicken. Stuff your apple pieces into the cavity of the chicken. Salt and pepper the chicken as you like. Place 6 strips of bacon over the top of the chicken. You can secure the bacon with toothpicks if necessary, though piercing the chicken is not ideal.

Place the chicken into the pre-heated oven. Let it roast for 15 minutes. Then, baste with broth and reduce heat to 350 (F). Roast the chicken for 2 more hours or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 180 (F), basting about every 15-30 minutes.

This chicken comes out SO juicy, tender, and delicious. And the next day (if you have leftovers) I like to put a few pieces of the chicken on a wheat bun with a little mayo, then a sprinkle of salt and pepper and one of those crispy slices of bacon. It's pretty delish. I mean, if you like chicken and bacon :]

1 comment:

  1. YUM. Gotta try that. Ben's all hyped up about going low carb, so I really need to work on varying my meat recipes since just varying my starches isn't gonna work anymore! I've become very accustomed to low-fat cooking, so reversing my way of thinking is going to be very difficult. Stupid carbs. They're EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!