Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

First let me say that I can't believe Labor Day weekend has come and gone. I feel like it was just the very beginning of warm weather! Vacation is gone, Labor day is gone, summer is... no. I'm not ready to say it yet.

We had a really fun Labor Day weekend none-the-less. Friday the hubs and I both got off work early so we decided to make it a date night! We threw on some "going out" clothes (for me that means not a tank top and sweat shorts) and went to a local place on a nearby lake. We both loved our food, and afterwards, since we were real nerds and went to dinner at like 5:30 we took our Bebe and walked around the lake area. It's hard to describe the area and what it is, but basically there are a handful of restaurants all together along this lake and so there's this nice big sidewalk with benches, and a pavilion, and a little further along there's a big fountain and a hill where they show movies outside on a big screen. Anyway we let Bebe toddle around for about an hour or so. There was a group of people not far from us who were having a dance lesson of sorts and so there was music which our Bebe loved. She also loved watching the ducks swim around in the lake. Anyway, it was a great time. I only regret not bringing my camera, but I had no idea we would spend so much time just hanging out. I figured we were just having dinner!

Saturday we got up and went to the Maryland State Fair. It's one of those traditional things. You've been there before, it's pretty much the same each time, but if you don't go at all you kind of miss it. We thought Bebe would love it too since she's interested in animals now and what sounds they make. Turns out we were right :]  We saw cows, piggies, baby chicks, goats and sheep! We were only there for about 2 hours total, but we got to pet a brand new baby chick and baby piggy. We also got to pet a baby cow that belongs to my cousin who is a dairy farmer. He has been showing his prize-winning cows all over the country for many years.






After the fair and nap time time, my hubby went out for guys' night and I hung at home with our little love. A pretty fantastic day, if you ask me.

Sunday we celebrated my little brother's birthday. He turned 27! I'm pretty sure I'm not even 27, so don't ask me how he is. We got together at my mom's as usual and did a big cookout with steamed crabs and all the summer cookout staples. I made black-bottom cupcakes and my mom made him his favorite, apple pie from scratch. My sister also brought a peach pie from a local farm. What can I say, we know how to do dessert.





There was no shortage of gag gifts since that's kind of what my siblings and I do. My gift to him included both a pair of thong underwear and a very (very) large pair of granny-panties that have been gifted between us for years now. Ha! I'll save the explanation, it's probably only funny to us anyway.



That brings us to Monday. Somehow without my realizing, tropical storm Lee made its way from the Gulf of Mexico to our neck of the woods.
I heard the local meteorologist say something like, "not a dry day in sight!" I looked at my husband and simply asked, "why??" He tells me the storm from the Gulf is here. When the heck has that ever happened? Strange. So it was a rainy labor day Monday... and every day since. We met up with my brother and SIL for lunch and some shopping. Then we pretty much relaxed at home the rest of the day. I love a good relaxing end to a holiday weekend.

Tuesday was a classic, "Emily vs. the Universe."  That's the next post, so stay tuned :]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!