Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Blogging in the 21st Century

I think I've realized why I am never completely happy with my blog. First, I'm bad about comparing it to other blogs I read. I always think someone else has an idea I should use, or their stories are funnier, etc. That's probably a big contributor to my feeling dissatisfied with my blog. It's also about me and a life that I live, so I can probably assume that I'll never find it quite as fascinating as other people's blogs. Not that I'm resigned to a "boring" life, but more that I know the story before I tell it here, and I can try to be witty but I probably still won't find it as amusing as someone who is reading it for the first time. And perhaps the issue of most note is that I tend to want photos in my blog posts and my photos come from my DSLR. In order to blog something that happened today, I have to wait for an opportune time to hook my camera up to the computer, transfer the photos, go through them and select the ones I want to use, resize them because they're like 4 MB and would take 2 days to upload to Blogger, and then upload and blog about them. Most days, I just don't have that kind of time, and if I do there's probably something else that needs to be done in that time.

Other bloggers write about trips to the store and what their kids ate for lunch, or messes they made around the house. Little things like that I might have one or two photos of, maybe, and at that it seems hardly worth the effort of getting them on Blogger. So I end up not being a daily blogger on here telling about all the cute, funny, and crazy things we experience on a day-to-day basis. Instead, I feel like I have to have a real event to blog about because that has just become the nature of my blog. And, let's face it, those events don't happen that often when you spend five days a week with a 15-month old and 9-month old. Contrary to what I often believe, my blog would probably be more interesting if I blogged more often about all the fun little things. Perhaps it would be more of a window into our world and readers would feel like they got to know us better (those who don't know us in real life already).

Enter 21st century technology!

 The difference between myself and those "interesting" bloggers? Many of them, I have noticed, use their iPhones/smart phones and some kind of blogging app. I, on the other hand, actually have this dino-phone which I got in 2006 (!)....

It does take pictures, but they're pretty low res and not easily uploaded to Blogger either. I'd have to email them to myself, download and save the files to my computer, and then upload to Blogger as usual. Again, not really worth the time/trouble. However, it is my intention to join the 21st century of phone technology after Christmas and get the iPhone 5. I've dealt with terrible, awful, stupid, malfunctioning phones for a long time. I'm actually using the one above only because a more recent phone just stopped working. Needless to say, it's time for me to join the rest of the world with a phone that serves my needs ("needs" ha, like blogging!). Yes, it's a splurge and not an actual need, but I feel like it is something I will get lots of use out of and that I kind of deserve the treat of a convenient phone. 

Why the iPhone? I've heard lots of people say how much they adore their Androids (including my husband, both siblings, both of their spouses, my sister-in-law and her boyfriend...on and on...) but my computer is a MacBook and I also have an iPod touch that I use basically as my computer-on-the-go. Therefore, I am very accustomed to the Mac platform and menus and features and I just think it makes sense and will flow better with my life to have my phone be of the same variety. It's going to be a big purchase, not to mention one I'll be stuck with for a minimum of 20 months, and I just don't want to settle for anything less that I could potentially regret. I'm sure we've all done it before, "It's just a phone, I'll take the one that's on BoGo sale." Two months later, after the return window has closed of course, you have a $50 paper weight. I'm not doing that again. Yes, the iPhone 5 will be fairly new, but not brand new, so any kinks should be out in the open by then and if there are big issues with it, I'll look around for something else. 

Ok, so how was that for a post about pretty much nothing? Maybe I should have talked more about what we did today, or posted a low-res phone picture? I've got time, my baby is still sleeping. New post!

1 comment:

I love hearing from you!